Kazuhara Ryuto (数原龍友) is a Japanese singer and performer. He's a member of the group GENERATIONS.
Kazuhara Ryuto was born on December 28, 1992 in Hyogo Prefecture, Japan. He has a younger sister named Kazuhara Akane.
Kazuhara is a Amagasaki City Hamada Elementary School and Amagasaki City Osho Kita Junior High School graduate.
In his childhood, he wanted to become a professional baseball player. He started playing baseball in the second grade and admired Abe Shinnosuke, the catcher of the Yomiuri Giants. Since Kazuhara also played as a catcher, he aspired to be a professional player who could lead a team like Abe until he was in junior high school.
Kazuhara described himself as an "active and restless" child. "I was often told to "calm down a little more" in my report cards at elementary and junior high school. I was doodling all the time, and I don't think I really listened to anyone."
Since his parents were huge fans of EXILE, he grew up listening to the group's songs in his every day life. When he was in the fifth grade of elementary school, his parents took him to a live concert of EXILE for the first time. At that time, Kazuhara was still playing baseball and didn't have a concrete idea of becoming a singer yet, so he simply thought it would be fun to be like them. However, he developed the dream of entering the entertainment industry and becoming a member of EXILE soon afterwards. This mindset led him to try participating in the VOCAL BATTLE AUDITION 2 years later,
As Kazuhara was aspiring to become a singer, he started practicing on his own. After some time, he dropped out of high school and worked part-time to earn money to pay for his tuition and transportation while attending EXPG Osaka. "I wanted to get better at singing as soon as possible and I wanted to have knowledge, so I woke up in the morning, worked, and went to music classes that I barely understood afterwards." However, he was not very confident in his skills when comparing himself to other EXPG students and people he met at singing contests.
In 2010, he participated in the VOCAL BATTLE AUDITION 2 ~Yume wo Motta Wakamono-tachi e~, determined that if he missed this chance, he wouldn't get another one. However, he ended up as a finalist and was not selected, causing him to fall into a slump. "My dream fell apart right in front of my eyes, and I couldn't get over it. When I came back to my parents' house, I turned on the TV and Tosaka Hiroomi and Imaichi Ryuji (the winners of the competition) were on. When I thought about it, I didn't even want to listen to music anymore, even though I used to play music and sing loudly at home." He even considered opening a yakitori restaurant instead of continuing his path to become a singer since he was working part-time at a yakitori restaurant at that time. The crucial influence that made him recover from his slump came from his mother. She initially disapproved of him quitting high school, but in the end, she became the one who pushed him forward and encouraged him to realize his dreams. As a result, Kazuhara returned to EXPG and took singing and dancing lessons every day. "I thought that if I kept improving, I would get a chance."
In spring of 2011, the staff of EXPG requested him to move to Tokyo and, in July of the same year, he became a candidate member of GENERATIONS. On April 17, 2012, he was announced as an official member of the group alongside five other members.
In January 2013, he won the first place in the "Kendama" category of the TV program Geinokai Tokugio Ketteisen TEPPEN (芸能界特技王決定戦 TEPPEN), a competition to determine the king of special skills in the entertainment industry.
In 2016, Kazuhara made his debut as a voice actor for the Japanese dubbing of the American superhero TV show Legends of Tomorrow. He was in charge of voicing "Grant Wilson / Second Generation Death Stroke".
In November 2018, he was chosen as one of the ambassadors for LDH Martial Arts' "ENERGY PROJECT" which advertises different fitness supplies from LDH's original brand alongside fellow GENERATIONS member Shirahama Alan and E-girls members Fujii Karen and Suda Anna.
On October 3, 2019, he released his first solo song, "Nostalgie".
On March 4, 2020, he released the song "Mou Ichido Kimi to Odoritai" digitally, which was used in the play of the same name from LDH's BOOK ACT. On September 27, it was announced that he would sing the title song of an upcoming short film from the CINEMA FIGHTER franchise directed by Shinjo Takehiko and starring Sekiguchi Mandy. On December 4, he released the song "Time Capsule" digitally. The song was used as an insert song in the TV drama 6 from HiGH&LOW THE WORST.
On Father's Day in 2017, Kazuhara revealed on his blog that his father commited suicide before he debuted as a singer. As a memento, he kept one of his father's rings and wears it when he feels like he needs it.
His younger sister Kazuhara Akane works in the entertainment industry under the stage name Mikami Yoshika (三上よしか). She participated in LDH's VOCAL BATTLE AUDITION 3 ~For Girls~ but did not get selected. After going to nursing school, she started working as a nurse, model, stage actress and more.
Kazuhara Kai, a boat racer, is his cousin.
- Physical condition
On August 22, 2020, it was reported that Kazuhara had been diagnosed with COVID-19 after getting tested on August 20. On August 19, Kazuhara had been in contact with a colleague who worked with him and was infected with COVID-19. At that time, he was not feeling any symptoms but he was carefully following the instructions of the public health center and experts for a healthy recovery.
In January 2021, he underwent surgery for vocal cord polyps.
- For the list of songs Kazuhara is credited for as lyricist in GENERATIONS, his own songs and for the artists featured in this wiki, see the Category:Songs written by Kazuhara Ryuto and Category:Songs composed by Kazuhara Ryuto.
- Voice acting
-  Legends of Tomorrow – Grant Wilson / Second Generation Death Stroke (played by Jamie Andrew Cutler)
- [2016.11. - 2018.03.] TOKYO VAGABOND (J-WAVE) - Thursday navigator
- [2020.11.-12] Net ViVi "Niku to Koi" (Net ViVi「肉と恋」)
- [2014.04.24 - 25] VOCAL BATTLE AUDITION Presents "VOCAL BATTLE STAGE 2014" (at Nippon Budokan, Tokyo)
- Emoji: 🦍 (Gorilla) or 🐉 (Dragon)
- On October 3, 2019, he started an Instagram account, being the last member of GENERATIONS to do so. Although, on May 23, 2020, he announced that he would quit Instagram and delete his account in June. Prior to deleting the account, Kazuhara explained through stories that he would stop updating his Instagram account due to the amount of slander/hate comments on social media. It is rumored that Kazuhara made this decision following the suicide of wrestler Kimura Hana.
- He has several tattoos which he started collecting in 2018. His tattoo collection includes two full sleeves, one on his neck, several on his chest, one on his foot (dedicated to his hobby surfing) and one on the back of neck that spells "dreamers" in honor of GENERATIONS' song with the same name.
- He has a nostril piercing.
- He can play the drums and piano.
- He has a very close friendship with fellow GENERATIONS vocalist Katayose Ryota. Both are from the Kansai region and used to go to auditions together on the bullet train before they debuted.
- Katayose once mentioned that Kazuhara told him that there was a part of him that felt like he had to act like a big brother, or that he had to be strong.
- Kazuhara himself mentioned in an interview in 2020: "He (Katayose) is like my little brother. We used to go to Tokyo together during the Vocal Battle, and I used to walk around with Ryota, pretending to know the trains and buses of Tokyo, which I in fact didn't know, because I was older than him. He's almost a prince of the people now, and he's doing activities that I can't do. I wish I could be a prince too (laughs). It's impossible, but he's the complete opposite in a good way. He's so serious and straightforward that I think he's too hard-headed. That's a really good thing, and it comes out in his songs. His songs are filled with his desire to deliver pure words without wasting time. I think my songs have a bit more playfulness in them, like how many beats of vibrato I should use, or trying something interesting. This style has been developed since I started working with Ryota, and I think it's a way to make the most of our individual tastes."
- The part-time job he had during his youth was at a yakitori restaurant.
- He has always dreamed of going solo besides his position in a group.
- He was frustrated to be told that vocalists shouldn't build up their muscles as it would make them lose their voice, so he started working out to prove it wrong.
- He has a close friendship with Takechi Kaisei of THE RAMPAGE and Yagi Yusei of FANTASTICS since the three of them work out together.
- He has two toy poodles called "Wakai" and "Tono".
- 【109MEN’S 10th×GENERATIONS】数原龍友／109に初めて行った相手は…オフショット&インタビュー
- Notice about LDH's artist infected with COVID-19